Music has always been a huge part of my life. I’m sure that statement holds true for many people. Music has helped me get through some tough times, but my love for music began in early childhood.
I was just a little girl as I sat and listened to the music my parents listened to; a little Frank Sinatra, a bit of the Beatles, and many of the other popular artists of the 60’s. I had favorite songs back then, too. I get nostalgic when I hear something from the ‘good ol’ days’.
In the 70’s, I was introduced (by radio DJ’s) to The Carpenters, Elton John, Billy Joel, The Bee Gees, Abba…and so many more pop artists. Then came AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, and The Eagles. When I was old enough to buy my own records, I was thrilled! I bought my records with my babysitting money in a little record store, aptly named, “The Music Box.” I loved that place!
Most of my favorite songs are from the 90’s – I’m not saying I don’t have favorites from other decades, but my Top 15 favorite songs are mostly from the 90’s. The following songs made my list based on lyrics, guitars, drums, or on a deeper, more personal level. I hope you enjoy these videos!
Last week, after I posted My Top 5 Favorite American Actors, a reader said she couldn’t wait to see what actresses I might pick. I’ve been thinking about that ever since. I don’t have many favorite actresses, so this list has been difficult! Please note that I definitely do not have enough favorites to make two separate lists; one for British actresses and one for American actresses. This is a list that includes both.
5. Sandra Bullock – I first saw Sandra in the movie Speed, which I enjoy watching time and time again. She always lends a touch of ‘real’ to her roles. She gives the impression of the “girl next door” with her down to Earth performances. I enjoyed the Miss Congeniality movies, which proved she could be funny. While You Were Sleeping, Practical Magic, Premonition, and The Lake House are among my favorites. I never saw Bird Box – and I’ve heard mixed reviews, and I’ve not been in a rush to watch it because it’s a horror film.
4. Reese Witherspoon – The first thing I ever saw Reese in was a movie called Freeway. If you haven’t seen it, you should! She was very young in this movie and she was a spitfire! She did an amazing job! She’s a fine actress and seems to have the determination to move mountains! I liked her in movies such as Wild, Fear, Walk The Line, Sweet Home Alabama, and a limited series you may have seen on Hulu, called Little Fires Everywhere.
3. Emma Thompson – Emma is a British actress, who was once married to my favorite British actor, Kenneth Branagh. She appeared in several movies with him and one of my favorites is Dead Again. It’s a must-see if you haven’t already. Emma’s strong performances include Nanny McPhee, Much Ado About Nothing, Henry V, and The Remains of the Day, just to name a few.
2. Elisabeth Moss – Elisabeth is an amazing actress! I never paid much attention to Elisabeth when my dad watched the series Mad Men. It just wasn’t my cup of tea. It wasn’t until her role in The Handmaid’s Tale that I took notice. She did (and continues doing) an excellent job. It’s a hard series to watch and I’m sure it hasn’t been easy filming it either. She seems to take on the strongest emotional roles offered to her. I have seen her in Top of The Lake, a series with 2 seasons, and I just watched The Invisible Man last night! It was phenomenal – actually SHE was phenomenal! I have added a few of her other movies to my Netflix queue.
1. Bette Davis – My all-time favorite actress would have to be the legendary Bette Davis. She refused to conform; portraying strong, willful women and unafraid to take on any man, or woman for that matter! You may have seen her in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, The Virgin Queen, Hush…Hush, Sweet Charlotte, Of Human Bondage, and The Bride Came C.O.D. The latter, is one of my favorites in which she starred with James Cagney, one of my favorite American actors. I realized, while going through a list of her movies, that I haven’t seen nearly enough of them! (And there are so many!)
Honorable Mention – Helen Hunt – Helen was a riot in Mad About You, and I loved her in Twister, Pay It Forward (which I refuse to ever watch again because it broke my heart), As Good As It Gets, and a recent flick called I See You. I wasn’t particularly fond of I See You and she was almost unrecognizable had I not seen her name in the line up. There seems to be something up with her face and it’s not just her getting older…at least I don’t think that’s it. Aside from that little bit of weirdness, I think she’s a great actress. She projects the image on a hard-working American woman. In my book, she certainly is!
It was really difficult putting these women in order, let alone deciding which ones should be on my list in the first place! There are so many talented actors and actresses! I hope you’ve enjoyed these posts of my favorites. I may keep doing them…perhaps favorite comedians or favorite action movie heroes. Suggestions? I’ll take them into consideration!
A “professional” blogger once said that it was a mistake to write a personal blog. My thought on this is that you should write whatever the heck it is you want to write. I happen to love personal blogs! There are many, MANY popular personal blogs out there, so how can it be a mistake? Most of the blogs I read and enjoy the most are personal. I love that someone is willing to share their journey with me. It’s a great way to learn about others’ opinions, troubles, ideas, etc. – and to build new friendships, as I have done here on WordPress.
I decided to share with you a list of some of my favorite blogs. This is in no way a complete list because there are so many amazing bloggers out there! The blogs on this list are WordPress blogs and those that I read most regularly, for one of several reasons: 1) They resonate with me personally, 2) They make me laugh, 3) They’re informative, 4) They’re intelligent, or 5) They’re inspiring. They may even be a combination of those things! I can’t always read each and every blog in my Reader every single day but I do try as often as possible.
It was not my intention to hurt anyone’s feelings, so please don’t be upset if your blog is not on this list. There will most definitely be other lists in the future!