A recent Facebook challenge was to list 15 of your favorite authors, without thinking too hard and in no particular order. So, I did it and a few days later I reviewed my list. I don’t think I’ll make any changes. I love these authors, many of whom I grew up reading for one class or another in school. Of course, I hated it back then. How dare they make us read something not of our choosing?! Ha! I have to say, I am very thankful we were forced to read those books! Many though, I’ve read (or reread) as an adult and find it much more enjoyable!
Here’s my unrevised list, in no particular order, with titles I loved the most.
1. Alexandre Dumas – The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, The Man In The Iron Mask
2. Harper Lee – To Kill A Mockingbird, Go Set A Watchman
3. Margaret Atwood – The Handmaid’s Tale
4. Mark Twain – The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
5. Dean Koontz – House of Thunder, Watchers, Demon Seed
6. William Golding – Lord of The Flies
7. George Orwell – 1984, Animal Farm
8. Scott O’Dell – Island of the Blue Dolphins, The Black Pearl
9. Louisa May Alcott – Little Women, Jo’s Boys
10. Nathaniel Hawthorne – The Scarlet Letter, The Wives of the Dead
11. William Shakespeare – Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Othello, Taming of the Shrew
12. Robert Lewis Stevenson – Treasure Island, Kidnapped, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
13. Edgar Allan Poe – The Raven, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Tell-Tale Heart
14. Herman Melville – Moby Dick, Benito Cereno
15. John Steinbeck – The Red Pony, East of Eden, Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath
Who are your favorite authors? Have I failed to list an author that perhaps I’ve not read? Do tell!!